4.21.2009

American Idol--Top 7--Disco Night


Ugh. Disco night. This is usually one of me least favorite night of every season. The only performance I actually remember from the past was Bo singing "Vehicle" which is not really a disco song.

I actually think that Lil will do fine tonight. But I think Anoop and Matt will suffer. Adam will rule tonight. That's my prediction


Lil Rounds--"I'm Every Woman"--Chaka Khan
Not pure karaoke (she changes it "a little"), but it's close, and it is a bit pitchy and muddy at places. I thought she would do better. After this week, Allison could be every woman on the show. The judges throw her under the bus.

Kris Allen--"She Works Hard for the Money"--Donna Summer
When the judges talk about making a song suit you, this is what they are talking about. Would Kris ever make a song that sounded like disco? No, but he would put out this song, and it screams Kris. Not the best vocal showcase, but it was solid and true to his style. Loved it! He is turning in to my favorite. Judges love it!

Danny Gokey--"September"--Earth, Wind, and Fire
I was worried that this song wouldn't fit his voice, but I like this. Cool arrangement. Part karaoke with some original twists. It fits his voice nicely. Nice job! Judges are very complimentary.

Allison Iraheta--"Hot Stuff"--Donna Summer
Rock arrangement sounds a bit hokier than I would like, but this fits her voice much better than I thought disco would. She is able to show off her voice at parts, so I think it's well done. Not as good as Kris or Danny but solid. Memorable? Dunno. Judges praise her--not the song.

Adam Lambert--"If I Can't Have You"--Yvonne Elliman
This is a bit more risky of an arrangement. Adam has stripped down the song getting rid of the signature background. He just focuses on the melody and the lyrics. He also slows it down to the point of not being able to recognizing it. He definitely made it his own. Vocals were spot on. It was well sung, well performed, but a little boring. Not the home run I was expecting, but his vocals will keep him for a long, long time. Paula has a breakdown. Judges thought it was the home run I was expecting.
Matt Giraud--"Staying Alive"--Bee Gees
More of the uptempo karaoke, but Matt reworks the vocals showing his best JT vibe. I didn't think his falsetto was in the pocket, but it was energetic and confident. Enough to stay another week? Dunno. Judges are mixed leaning towards positive.
Anoop Desai--"Dim the Lights"--Donna Summer
Decent vocals (pitchy in places), solid performance, but (and this is a big but) this is exactly what we expect from Anoop. He always meets expectations but never exceeds them. With so many exciting performers, Anoop might be out of his league. He is just too milquetoast to stand out. The judges whose names don't start with S liked it while Simon didn't.

My faves of the night were Kris and Adam. The rest ranged from really good to really bad.

Overall, Disco Night was better than I had feared.


blog comments powered by Disqus