3.10.2009

American Idol--Top 13--"Michael Jackson Event"


Top 12, er, 13!

Let's get this started!


Let's see what kind of song choices we see. Song selection will be very important in these early weeks.

Weird judges introduction with them all up on the stage.

Though it's 13, two are going home tomorrow night! Yikes!

Michael Jackson night?! Wow! As much as they complain about people butchering Michael's songs they are dedicating a whole night to him? Some great songs, but I wonder how many times the judges will rail on them for song choice.

This could be a train wreck!


Lil Rounds--"The Way You Make Me Feel"
I didn't like the backing vocals at all, but I thought Lil did a fine job. Julian, my four-year-old son, thought she was pretty and danced along before he went back to bed. Good start. Judges were quite fond of her though Simon hated her wardrobe.

Scott MacIntyre--"Keep the Faith"
This was a passable vocal, but it seemed pitchy at times. Overall, I was bored with this song, but I don't expect the judges to agree. I expected more. Judges complain more about the song than the performance.

Danny Gokey--"PYT (Pretty Young Thing)"
Great performance! Superb singing! I like the arrangement of this song, and I think Danny can work the stage like a pro. I'm on the fanwagon. Judges are fans, too. (Paula says he's bound for the finals, and who can argue with that?)

Michael Sarver--"You're Not Alone"
A bit of a slower song, and he does it justice. It doesn't give me chills, but it's well done. Judges are positive.

Jasmine Murray--"I'll Be There"
Very clear vocals. It was to the point and direct, but it wasn't the most memorable. Pretty good job. Judges are mixed but tentatively positive.


Kris Allen--"Remember the Time:
Kris got through by singing "Man in the Mirror," so he's probably wishing he could sing it again. This time he does another nice job (a little pitchy), but I didn't feel a superstar vibe. I liked the guitar. Judges were overall positive.

Is Randy trying to start a new catchphrase? I heard him clearly tell Kris, "Very well job done, Baby!" Just a flub or a new trend? You be the judge.

Allison Iraheta--"Give in to Me"
This is an odd performance (not perfect), but I really liked it. She is 16 and this seemed like a good performance for her. She made the song relevant. I don't think it showed off her voice as much as she has already shown, but it showed off her style more. Plus, I like her hair more when it is down like this. When she wears it back, she looks older. Judges liked it. Good for her.

Anoop Desai--"Beat It"
I really like Anoop, but I don't know if this song did him any favors. I don't think it allowed him to really show his chops. Also, it kind of showed a slight lack of showmanship. This was borderline forgettable. I don't think it was horrid by any stretch, but on a night when many performers are getting noticed, this one is a bit weaker. Paula thinks this song is untouchable; Simon thought it was horrible; Randy and Kara are likewise negative.

Jorge Nunez Mendez--"Never Can Say Goodbye"
I really did not care for Jorge's voice when I heard him in his audition, but I have liked him more and more each week. I liked this song on his voice, and I think he pulled off. The judges were harsher than I was, questioning his song choice. I liked it. Was I listening to the same song?

Megan Joy Corkrey--"Rockin' Robin"
This counts as a Michael Jackson song? This is going to sound like I am contradicting myself, but I thought this was absolutely the wrong song choice. This seemed like it belonged on a variety show in the seventies. She has a good voice, but I didn't care for this. This seemed ultra safe. Cheese. Simon and Randy agree with me.

Adam Lambert--"Black and White"
Every time I hear this song, I think about Macauley Culkin. I honestly think this guy has some of the best chops in this competition. Yes, he can be over-the-top, but man, when he hits a note, he hits it. He also has some nice vocal nuances that make him stand out. Best performance of the night. He can work the entire room! Judges were enthusiastic.

Matt Giraud--"Human Nature"
A bit pitchy with his falsetto but a nice job. Not a blockbuster. Not bad. The judges are quick but positive. You can tell the shows running late. Adam gets five minutes of feedback, and Matt gets words per judge. Poor Matt.

Alexis Grace--"Dirty Diana"
Good vocal performance. I didn't like the last note, but it was well done. I think she tried too hard at times, oversinging. Not everyone can be Adam Lambert, Alexis. Judges were fairly complimentary.

New rule change tomorrow night that includes the judges? My prediction is that they'll take the bottom three of America's vote and then the judges will pick the person going home. I don't know if I like that. Yes, it takes some power away from people who are voting for less-talented performers (votefortheworst, etc.), but it also takes the power away Joe Voter. I think votes will diminish if I am right.

I have no idea who will go home. This is a strange night where most of the performances were good. I am quite surprised.

Bring on the results.


blog comments powered by Disqus