3.05.2009

American Idol--Wild Card Selections

Here are the eight performers the judges have selected as wild cards.

My somewhat cranky thoughts are below.



I don't necessarily have a problem with the individuals selected (below). Obviously they would probably do better with a second chance.

But the whole even split with males and females doesn't sit well with me. Jesse "Bette Davis Eyes" Langseth is better than Nick Mitchell? Really?

The bigger problem I have is that this process seems like a waste of time. The judges have chosen eight performers to sing, and then the last three spots of the top twelve will be chosen... by the judges.

Why bother with this intermediary step? I am sure that they have chosen who they want to be in the top 12. Just pick them and be done with it. I am prepared to watched canned comments that will be borderline rehearsed.

Also, I wonder if the will feel the need to balance the Top 12 as far as gender. Right now the Top 9 has 6 boys and 3 girls. I can't think of any girl from this wild card selection that I would rather see than Anoop, Matt Giraud, and Ricky Braddy. But will they really let three guys go on. I highly doubt it.

What I want: Anoop Desai, Matt Giraud, Ricky Braddy

My prediction: Anoop, Ricky Braddy, and Jasmine M.

HOWEVER, I would not be surprised if Tatiana makes it through. This is the judges' pick, AND there is supposed to be a segment of the show this season dedicated to how the Top 12 relates and gets along in the house in which they will live. With this soap opera reality element, Tatiana may make for some fireworks. I, for one, hope that AI does not go in this direction, but it wouldn't surprise me.


Anoop Desai
Jasmine Murray
Jesse Langseth
Matt Giraud
Megan Corkrey
Ricky Braddy
Tatiana Nicole Del Toro
Von Smith

Thoughts?


blog comments powered by Disqus