3.05.2009

American Idol--Wild Card Performances


Tonight still seems like a waste, as I am sure that the judges have already decided their last three.

I also am hoping upon hope that they don't give us two girls out of this group--especially not Tatiana. Yes, I know she can sing, but we know that she won't last past week 1. Why even take her?

My review below.

Jesse Langseth--"Tell Me Something Good"--Rufus and Chaka Khan
I really didn't like her last time. I think she is a waste of a pick. This is my least favorite version of Rufus and Chaka Khan's song I've ever heard. I don't entirely blame Jesse; I thought the arrangement was bad. But Jesse didn't bring any fireworks. Next. Judges were nicer than I was expecting.

Matt Giraud--"Who's Loving You"--Jackson Five
Now this I liked. A bluesy take on a Jackson Five song. He has a good sound, and I would like to see more of him on the show. Judges are keen on him, so he could be one of the three.

Megan Corkrey--"Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"--K.T. Tunstall
Meh. She still has a weird stage presence. She is beautiful, but her voice is only better than average. She misses some notes, but parts were okay. I don't think she's Top 12-good. Judges are nicer than they should've been, so I'm wondering if they have picked her. Sigh. Is she better than I thought?

Von Smith--"Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word"--Elton John
I am really mixed on Von. He annoys me for a lot of his performance, but there are moments where I raise my eyebrows in appreciation. I don't think he'll make the Top 12, but I'm kind of indifferent on him making it. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised. The judges are off the Von Smith train. He will not be in the Top 12. No biggie.

Jasmine Murray--"Reflection"--Christina Aguilera
The judges told her to pick something young and current "Rihanna-esque," and she picked a ballad. Sigh. Way to listen. She is okay, but the song is too big for her, and she didn't hit everything she needed to hit. But she has potential. Again, the judges are nicer than I would have been. Sigh.

Ricky Braddy--"Superstition"--Stevie Wonder
I don't think this was the best choice for him. He picks it to show off his personality, but he looked uncomfortable. His voice was fine, but I think he was better in his last performance.
All judges are positive except for Simon. Ricky might be on the outside looking in, but I like him.

Tatiana Nicole Del Toro--"I'm Saving All My Love For You"--Whitney Houston
She's singing the same song she sang last time? Really? That will be a strike against her, I hope.
She's still good, but she's not as good as last time (especially at the beginning). The judges are mixed. I hope this means she is gone. Let's hope.

Anoop Desai--"My Perogative"--Bobby Brown
I really think Anoop is a sure thing for the Top 3. BUT another repeat song? He sang this during Hollywood. Granted, we only saw 5 seconds of this before, but still. The beginning was a little shaky, but he brought it home at the end. Fun performance. I like Anoop, so I hope he is in. The judges praise his personality.

The judges pick: Jasmine Murray, Megan Corkrey, and Matt Giraud. And Anoop Desai.

They pull the old switcheroo and make Anoop feel that he didn't make it when he really did.

Argh! Two girls? AI said before the season they wouldn't push gender equality. Guess they were wrong.

I'm upset that Ricky didn't have a chance. I do think that if we had been shown him more before, he could have made some waves.

Other than that, I'm okay with the results. I wanted Matt and Anoop, and I got that.


blog comments powered by Disqus