2.17.2009

American Idol--Top 36--Group 1


I am a bit worried by the revelation that they take the top vote-getter from each gender. It is possible (though not probable) that we might get stuck with the seventh-highest vote-getter of the night just to keep both genders represented.

I want it to be based on talent and votes alone.

Still, I am most stoked for tonight's show. I am anxious to see how they perform and see what they did with song choice (always a killer).

Click below for the thoughts.


Here we are...

This is a similar format to what they used years ago. I wonder if we'll have the Coca-Cola red room where all the contestants get nervous while the singers sing.

Oh, look at them all lined up on the stairs, nervously awaiting their chance to show America what they are all about.

Unfortunately, this time next week, most of them will be forgotten.

Ryan in a v-neck? Pass.

Judges blather.

A minute and twenty seconds a person? This is ridiculous! I forgot how frustrating it is to see so little of them singing.

Yep. Top girl, top guy, next top vote-getter. Sigh. Way to make sure some mediocrity makes it into the Top 12. (Please understand. This is not a slam against female singers in general, just against female singers this season. I hope they prove me wrong.)

Jackie Tohn is up. I really liked her in her first audition, but she turned into a Janis Joplin wannabe in Hollywood. Song choice will be crucial with her.

She is singing "A Little Less Conversation" by Elvis. Let's see if she tries to Janis it up. She is a natural performer, but it seems a bit manic. There are parts I really dig though. It was not boring. That's a good thing. I just don't know if this performance, going first, will be enough to make someone pick up their phone. Average start.

The first three judges praise on her entertainment and personality. The judges seem to excuse her vocal performance since she wasn't boring. Simon disagrees pretty thoroughly.

Red Room is back. During the interview, Jackie kind of annoys me. I know she is trying to project herself as the free-loving nutball, but I don't know if that gamble will work.

Next up is Ricky Braddy. Poor, poor Ricky Braddy that got no airtime. He is going to have to be sensational to break through to the top.

He is singing "A Song for You" by Leon Russell. Wait a second. Hold the presses. Have they been hiding this guy from us? No, it is not perfect, but this guy has awesome chops! This is a hard song to sing, and he sings it extremely well. A few pitch issues, but the good outweighs the bad here. Color me impressed.

Unanimous praise from the judges. Simon cautions him on his lack of charisma.

And we get our first website plug of the night from Mama Braddy: www.thebraddybunch.com

Alexis Grace is up. She is singing "Never Loved a Man" by Aretha. She has a really strong voice, and I dig it, but I'm bored. First wrong song choice of the night. I don't think this will make her stand out enough. I like her, but I worry for her.

The judges think she is MUCH better than I do. Maybe they are trying to save her. I like her, so I don't really mind. I still think she could have picked a better song. Simon invokes the name "Kelly Clarkson." They mean business.

Alexis Grace is the worst storyteller ever.

Brent Keith is up. His tape is screwed up, so they have to ad lib and go straight to his song. Poor Brent Keith. That has to mess you up mentally. I really feel bad for the guy!

He is singing "Hicktown" by some band I probably wouldn't know. Second wrong song choice of the night. I feel bad for him but not that bad. He seems a bit restrained in his delivery, and his voice is just okay, bordering on ordinary. He's better at the end, but it's still not good. Very karaoke. The judges will not be kind.

The judges are middling with their criticism, but I don't think this will be enough. We do, however, get our first Bucky Covington dis of the season from Simon. All the judges did was identify his genre as country. Yay! (That was sarcasm.)

Stevie Wright. She's singing "You Belong with Me" by Taylor Swift to show off her youth. Third wrong song choice of the night. This starts off horribly. I am not familiar with this song, but she sounds off key. If that's the way the song is supposed to sound, she's great! Poor Stevie. She and Brent will be home watching the rest of the season. This time, I am sure the judges will be vicious.

They are. All judges have little positive to say.

Why are Paula's eyebrows bugging me tonight?

What's up with Jackie Tohn trying to get some extra air time to hug Stevie and her parents as Ryan is talking? I think it's all very manipulative.

'noop Dawg in the house! He is singing "Angel of Mine" by Monica. He has some bizarre song choices, I'll give him that. I really like Anoop. He was one of my faves coming in, but I don't think this was his best performance. It was really good and smooth, but there was something that didn't hit me right. I hope it's enough, but I worry.

All the judges didn't LOVE it, but you can tell they LOVE him. The judges are basically pleading with America to keep him. I think they will. He is so darn likable.

Casey Carlson is the next up. She is singing "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by the Police. I love this song. She better not murder it. She has a bad case of Wacky Face(tm)! Augh! Can she stop winking and making fish mouth at me? Please? And the vox are inconsistent, bordering on horrible. Fourth bad song choice of the night. She will be with Brent and Stevie on the outside looking in.

The judges hate it. Randy and Kara even sing their criticism as a duet (which comes across crueler than many things Simon says). All in all, it was pretty brutal.

Michael Sarver is singing "I Don't Want to Be" by Gavin DeGraw. I like this song choice, but will he get drilled for going this direction? (I remember him as having a soulful, bluesy voice.) He's got Wacky Face(tm) going on, too. I think his voice is good, but it comes across as over the top a bit. I was expecting more from him. It wasn't horrible at all, but I wanted more. Mixed bag.

Like with Anoop, the judges are being kind, and you can tell that they like him personally. Even if he doesn't make it through tomorrow, he'll be back on the Wild Card show.

Ann Marie Boskovich is singing "Natural Woman" by Aretha. It's always dangerous going after these big songs. I think she pulls it off. She has a great voice. She seems confident, but I never feel that she gets screamy or shouty. I don't know if this song shows off her personality, but she has a voice.

The judges aren't crazy about her song choice. Ann Marie gets in a dis on Sara Bareilles and her song "Love Song" after Kara suggests that she should have sung that. The funny thing is, I can hear her singing that song well.

Steven Fowler will try not to forget the words to "Rock with You" by Michael Jackson. He sings it very well, but I don't see how this shows who he is as an artist. He sang a very good karaoke version of Michael. It seemed very distant and cold. I didn't feel the heartbeat. It was by the numbers for me.

The judges rake him over the coals. I wonder if he'll get another chance at the wild card show because this won't do him any favors.

Tatiana Del Toro is up. Man, does she get on my nerves. She's singing "I'm Saving All My Love for You" by Whitney Houston. I know she can sing, but this should be a mess.

Actually, again, she sings well (not great, but well). I think the song is wrong for her (too big), but she actually has a really nice voice. It's only when she stops singing that I want to pelt the TV with remote controls and badgers. The judges seem almost disappointed that she's calm. I think they were expecting Crazy Tatiana.

This is actually a bit discomforting as the judges try to prod her into hysterics.

Danny "Sure Thing" Gokey is singing "Hero" by Mariah Carey. Big song choice. Listening to Danny, you get an idea about exactly what kind of an artist he will be--a multi-platinum record selling one. C'mon, how can you NOT like this guy. Great voice! Great performance! I have goosebumps. Judges should give a standing O for this.

Just Paula.

Judges are all ecstatic. Simon, less so, but that is just so there will be more impact when Simon jumps on the bandwagon later this season.

My rankings for the night:
1. Danny Gokey
2. Ricky Braddy
3. Ann Marie Boskovich
4. Anoop Desai
5. Alexis Grace
6. Michael Sarver
7. Tatiana Del Toro
8. Jackie Tohn
9. Stephen Fowler
10. Brent Keith
11. Casey Carlson
12. Stevie Wright

My Predictions:
Top Male: Danny Gokey
Top Female: Ann Marie Boskovich
Third Place: Anoop Desai

I think Ricky Braddy, Michael Sarver, Tatiana Del Toro, and Alexis Grace will get shots later on in the wild card.


blog comments powered by Disqus