2.25.2009

American Idol--Top 36--Group 2


Here are my thoughts on Group 2. Pre-show, I still stand my prediction of Adam Lambert (probably going last), Jasmine Murray, and Matt Giraud.



Ryan is looking casual tonight.

Stupid phrase of the night comes from Kara: "This it it. There are no second chances." Um, have the producers told her about the Wild Card show where 12 singers will get... wait for it... a second chance? Are they hoping that the viewers forget about this so they can surprise us later?

Whatev.

I was right with my guess of Adam Lambert going last. Look, I like the guy, too, but could the producers be more transparent about wanting to showcase their chosen ones?

Wait a sec! Did Ryan just say that they will be singing from Billboard's Hot 100? Wow! That's a disadvantage to this group. It seemed like last week's group could pick any song (admittedly to their detriment at times). What is up with that?! Is it only the current Top 100? Or any Top 100? I hope for the latter.

Sigh.

Jasmine Murray--"Love Song"--Sara Bareilles
This is the song that Kara wanted someone to sing last week. I think this could be a good song for her. It might be me, but the vocals seem muddy and indistinct. I'm not saying that it's bad, but I don't think it stands out the way it should. Fair start, but I'm starting to back off of my prediction of her being the girl from this round. Maye not the right song. Judges aren't too positive. Not feeling strong any more.

Matt Giraud--"Viva La Vida"--Coldplay
Rats! It looks like they all have to be modern songs. I really call shenanigans on this. Changing the rules midstream, AI? Tsk tsk! I pretty much am bored by Coldplay, but this song isn't awful (because they ripped it off from Joe Satriani). I hope this works. Sigh. This was a mixed bag for me. For me, this was entirely the wrong song for him. After hearing him sing soulfully on "Georgia" and then singing this, I am so disappointed. Parts were good, but there were also some notes that made me cringe. I wonder what he would have sung if not hampered by the "list." The judges weren't wowed either, but it seems like they are still pulling for him. I was disappointed.

Two of my faves to go on from this round have disappointed. Maybe this will be an opportunity for an unknown to make a big splash.

Jeanine Vailes--"This Love" by Maroon 5
Wait another second. This was a hit some years back, so maybe it is ANY Top 100 list. Hmm... Dunno. Jeanine is a bartender with very, very short-shorts that we have not seen before. Ouch! This was okay until the chorus came along. She seemed like she was in a duel with the background singers and lost. The end is better, but I can't forget the intense pain that I just endured. I'll pass. The judges agree that she picked the wrong song and has good legs. She admits that since she hasn't been shown much, she felt that she needed to come out strong. I get that, but the key is to sing WELL. I feel bad for her, but that was NOT good. B'bye.

Nick Mitchell--"And I'm Telling You"--Dreamgirls
It's Norman Gentle time. I'm a bit disappointed that he's singing this song again, but at least he'll be playing to his strength. I think I have lost my ever-loving mind, but this guy entertains me. Serious. I am still convinced that this show is not for him, but he makes me smile every time he sings. I even liked his vocal pauses to share his innermost thoughts--wanting to impress the judges, staying on the show, and saying hi to Doogie Howser in the audience. He is a bonafide trip. He gave it his all. The singing was not bad for the most part. There was one part where he lost some vocal control that hurt me, but the rest was really well sung--in that campy style that he sings. Simon predictably pans him while the others praise the entertainment value. He is memorable. Paula speaks in tongues at one point. That was also memorable. Things do get a bit weird and manic as Ryan tries to help give out Nick's number. I actually love live TV for moments where things go wrong.

Allison Iraheta--"Alone"--Heart
She is 16, but looks about 32. Her interview with Ryan is painful. She has a hard time completing a sentence. Please make her stop. Tough song. She has two styles: soft at the beginning, hard at the end. But it's the best vocals of the night so far though. It was a tad screamy for me at times, but she does have a good voice. Do I want to see her every week? Dunno. Newsflash, Paula: I can sing the telephone book, too. Seriously, I can. Not well, but still. The judges are highly complimentary. She seems to be this season's Jason Castro in terms of interviewing skills.

Kris Allen--"Man in the Mirror"--Michael Jackson
Another one we haven't really seen. He's singing Michael? Really? After the performance, I must say, he is good. I think he is comfortable with that style. It seems like that was him. I know what to expect from him. I like it. A lot. Not perfect, but really good. The judges are so-so. I hate that Kara says that this wasn't as good as what he did in Hollywood WHEN WE NEVER SAW HIM IN HOLLYWOOD.
Megan (Joy) Corkrey--"Put Your Records On"--Corinne Bailey Rae
Tattoo sleeve mother. I like this song, so I hope she does justice. Her stage presence is weak, but her voice is not bad. She has an unusual voice quality but in a good way. It came across as a bit karaoke. The judges are nice to her. She and Allison are the front-runners for the girls.

Matt Breitzke--"If You Could Only See"--Tonic
Not a bad song. (Side note: I saw Tonic perform this before they got BIG, opening for David Garza at the White Rabbit in San Antonio. I didn't have them pegged for success. Shows what I know.) Not a bad performance, and he sure is likable, but I think this was a really good karaoke performance. I don't know if I felt a performer here. I just felt the song. Is it memorable enough? Judges are big on him but not on the performance or the song choice.

Pet Peeve: I really don't like when singers talk back to the judges. It just comes across to me as overly prideful and stubborn. Also, I don't think it wins over the viewers. Maybe I'm wrong.

Jesse Langseth--"Bette Davis Eyes"--Kim Carnes
Pass. This is painful, too. I swear that I've heard better renditions of this at karaoke bars. Not memorable for me. I will forget this by the time this show is over. Judges are mixed. I agree with Simon. Again.

Kai Kalama--"What Becomes of the Broken-Hearted"--Jimmy Ruffin
I like the song choice. (Obviously it's any year of the Billboard Hot 100. I take back my earlier complaint.) And he sings it fairly well (minus one part that was weak). I can hear him as a singer. He, to me, is memorable. I think he could be a wild card if he doesn't get through on votes. The judges are not as impressed as I was. Oh well. I didn't think it was that bad.


Mishavonna Henson--"Drops of Jupiter"--Train
Another unknown. This one is a keeper! I really like her. She has a sound. Perfect, no, but strong, yes. She commanded my attention. I think she should be the girl of the night (or at least a wild card selection). The judges don't like the song choice, but I didn't have a problem with that. I actually don't agree with the criticism of Mishavonna.


Adam Lambert--"Satisfaction"--Rolling Stones
Musical theater boy. He starts off reminding me of Constantine with the smoldering look (and the early vocals seemed scattered). But boy can this kid sing. Is it a bit much? At times, yes. But there is no doubting Adam's chops and his entertainment. I really think this will be a love it or hate it sort of thing. Is he likable enough to generate votes? I think so, but I think he'll have to soften up at some point to make it to the end (which he should with that voice). Watching him perform does illustrate the difference between him and the others. The judges drool predictably, though Simon is a bit on the fence.

Overall, this night was a wash. If I have to rank tonight's performances (which I feel I do), they would go like this:
1. Adam Lambert
2. Mishavonna Henson
3. Megan Joy Corkrey
4. Nick Mitchell
5. Kris Allen
6. Allison Iraheta
7. Kai Kalama
8. Matt Giraud
9. Matt Breitzke
10. Jasmine Murray
11. Jesse Langseth
12. Jeanine Vailes

My Picks: M: Adam F: Mishavonna V: Nick M.
My Predictions M: Adam F: Megan Corkrey V: Matt Giraud

Your thoughts?


blog comments powered by Disqus